17 August 2011

First "official" camping trip

A few weeks ago our tire literally fell off of the land cruiser when we were on our way up Provo canyon to go camping. we hadn't traveled very far before Judd and I noticed a weird sound coming from the car and before we could react the back end of the cruiser dropped to the ground as we watched our left rear tire rolling down toward Deer Creek Reservoir. I'm pretty sure my heart dropped about as far as the back end of the car... We spent 5 hours looking for the tire (which was never to be found), putting a new tire on, jumping the cruiser (because on top of it all our alternator went out), and waiting for a tow truck (the guy got lost and took an hour to find us). It was a super hot day, and I was glad that we had a cooler full of ice/drinks/food to keep the kids happy. They were actually so patient and did really well. I wish I had taken pictures of the cruiser, but I didn't dare to since we barely made it to the side of the road to begin with and the end of the car was almost in the road.
The next night we spent the night "camping" in our back yard. We even did a dutch oven dinner and dessert.
After two weeks in the shop we got the car back and we decided to try our luck at another camping trip. I'm sure Judd was bugged with me because the whole way there I kept asking if the noises I was hearing were "normal"... Call me crazy, but I didn't feel like dealing with car problems again....

mmmmm dirt.





I took the kids on a hike so Judd could take a nap. He worked the night before and was really tired.


This is what Levi and Kennedy looked like for the majority of the trip. Covered in dirt. 



Roasting mallows


If you look closely, you'll see that they both have marshmallow on their faces. Priceless.



My boys "copping a squat"



I love this picture! They have so much fun with each other and get along so well.

In most of the pictures my kids are carrying around either a fork or spoon, or both. Don't ask me why, but they have a fetish with plastic utensils. I love this picture :)


 


So here are pictures from our first camping trip. The kids LOVED it! They spent most of their time digging in the dirt, we went on a hike, cooked some dutch oven, played some games, and Kennedy roasted her first marshmallow and had her very first smore. I would call it a success.

3 comments:

Missy said...

Car camping is the best! Especially with kids. Looks like you had a great time :)

Beecher said...

I bet that was scary!! Sounds like it was! I would have been SOOOOOO MAADDD! I got mad just reading your story.... (I get frustrated when things dont go as planned, lol) Im glad, take-two was a success for you guys!

Mom Z said...

What's a family outing without a little unexpected excitement....boring. However I can usually do without the excitement, I like boring.
Glad all everything came out OK.

Love,
Mom Z