05 February 2011

Tonsils Schmonsils

So, I forgot to post this... Probably because it ended up being a semi-disaster, and I spent the next few weeks taking care of three kids who were either sick or doped up. These are all before pictures from when Judd had his tonsils taken out a couple weeks before Thanksgiving (I wish I took after photos, but things were a tad hectic). It is supposed to be a quick in and out, hour long surgery, which was not the case here. It was a 3 hour long surgery and we spent the rest of the day in the hospital... Turns out (they told me when I came to get him) that he had stopped breathing when they gave him Morphine at the end of surgery. He is either a) super sensitive to morphine or b) was given too large of a dose. They had to give him Narcan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naloxone , basically this bumps the Morphine off of the pain receptor sites, leaving him with no pain killer in his system. We spent the rest of the day trying to get his blood pressure down from 200/160. They gave him multiple meds one after the other, but it still wouldn't come down. After spending about 8 hours in the hospital we were finally released with the warning to return if his blood pressure didn't return to normal within the next few hours. (I have a blood pressure cuff and stethoscope at home... I know... I know.. I'm weird.) It finally started coming down that night, and was normal by the end of the next night.
Judd spent the next two weeks eating (slurping) Jello. He lost a good 15 pounds, MAN what a great diet!! Not to worry though, he put it all back on plus some as soon as he could wrap his grubby little paws around some Costa Vida.






3 comments:

Missy said...

How scary! I'm glad that things turned out ok.

mom Z said...

My poor baby, the doctor never said you needed your tonsils out when you were little. You were in much better hands for your recouperation now though. Leslie is a much better nurse than I would have been.

KT said...

Haa! Ya glad things are ok...drugs can be tricky...i know;) Mmm to jello & costa! :D Glorious.